In the news…
Supreme Court Justice David Souter has announced his coming retirement. On May 26, President Obama announced his selection of Sonia Sotomayor to become the newest justice. Sotomayor now faces hearings in the Senate, which has the authority to either approve or reject Pres. Obama’s nominee.
Here is a selection of resources for further information on this topic:
– For information on Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor: http://www.loc.gov/law/find/sotomayor.php
– For information on the Supreme Court including history, the docket, and opinions: http://www.supremecourtus.gov/
– For online access to the text of Supreme Court Nomination Hearings since 1971: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/congress/senate/judiciary/scourt.html
– For a list of Supreme Court nominees since 1789: http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/reference/nominations/Nominations.htm
– For information regarding presidential nominations, nominees, and appointments: http://www.senate.gov/reference/Nominations/Index.htm
– For a biographical directory of federal judges since 1789: http://www.fjc.gov/public/home.nsf/hisj
For further information, please ask at the Information Desk or the Government Documents Department. While you are at the library, feel free to check out the displays on the lower level and learn more about our Supreme Court Justices as well as our Justice Department publications.
Laura Plowman, Public Services Library Associate