A retirement reception will be held for Dr. David Gleim, Dean of Libraies, on Wednesday, June 15, 2:30 – 4:00 pm. Please join us in the Recent Fiction area on the main level of Briggs Library for toasting, roasting and refreshments.
Dr. Gleim has been the Dean of Libraries since July 2007 and will retire in June. He will be the last head of Briggs Library to hold the title of Dean. He will be followed by a Chief University Librarian. During his tenure at SDSU, the library has seen some exciting changes and some long-overdue changes, as well. Among these changes, the library
- Moved to a single service desk for its reference, circulation, reserve, and interlibrary loan operations
- Added a coffee and sandwich shop
- Welcomed the Honors College into the building
- Welcomed the campus Teaching/Learning Center into its midst
- Replaced bright orange carpet on the lower level
- Installed compact shelving on the lower level
- Constructed a beautiful new Archives area that houses the Sen. Daschle Congressional Research Study Room
Dr. Gleim has been active in the South Dakota Library Association and currently serves on the SDLN Executive Committee. He also sits on the Friends of the Brookings Public Library Board and on the Board of the Wegner Health Sciences Information Center. When not sitting on a board or standing at his desk in the dean’s office, he is a running enthusiast who has competed in local and regional marathons and half-marathons. He also spends time in the classroom at SDSU improving the Spanish skills he needs when traveling in Mexico where he and his wife plan to live following their retirements. His staff and colleagues at SDSU are grateful that he chose Briggs Library as the place to end his long and productive library career.
We hope to see you in the library for this celebration on June 15th!